4.06.2012

Exercising!

Actually, I wish I did have this surface to run on...
Running/Jogging
Honestly, I'm not a big fan of running. It hurts me sometimes, but I know it's a great workout. So my philosophy is "no pain. no gain." literally. But, it's the easiest exercise that you can do.

My running ranges from 3-5 miles (5-8 kilometers). I really only run further if something is bothering me and I need to force it out of my head.

And even if I run, I'm actually pretty slow. This morning, I hit three miles in 28 minutes (approx 9 minutes & 20 seconds per mile). I have changed my running style, but it really hasn't changed my pace too much.

Right now, I've been shifting my point of impact from my heel to the ball of my foot. I'm doing this for two reasons: 1) I'm flat-footed and this is more comfortable 2) running heel first will give me knee and joint troubles later in life.

Hopefully, I'm right about my reasoning. This has also led me to think about running barefoot or using Vibrams... any testimonies?

What!? This is exercise?

Cycling
Because my brother loves cycling and I have experience in cycling, this is a great activity and exercise. When I ride, I try to hit 10 minimum.

Mostly though, I like the tours (even though I've only gone on one!).

Cycling is good because it puts less pressure on your joints than running. You do get a great workout with your cardiovascular system and legs mostly.

Yay! Fun Plyometrics!

Plyometrics
So ever so often, I actually do a little home exercises using my own weight and gravity to workout.

This mostly includes pushups, sit-ups, burpies (ugh...), and a whole slew you can make up or look up.

Next to running, these are the easiest and most time efficient. They are also the most boring. Still, it helps and I like breaking them out into super-sets: pushups, squats, sit-ups, planks, air pedaling, and diamonds.

I don't think it'll make me cut, but it definitely works me out.

Another reason I don't want to lift...

Weights
I do these the least. Part because I have to go to the gym and part because I have mental stigma to weights.

When I think of weights, I think of getting "larger" and that's something I don't want to be. Getting larger is harder to maintain in the long run (like when you get older) and I'd rather not want to look "shrunken".

I don't think that happens to everyone, but it's just something in the back of my mind.

How do you workout?

-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents: