4.09.2012

Childhood "Dream Cars"

So back in my high school days, I dreamt about cars. I was very biased to Japanese cars at the time and really loved a few cars.

Culprit Influencers:
- My cousin, Michael, had a "soup'd" up Honda Civic LX with components I can't remember but fast enough for me.
- My other cousin, Jeff, had a Honda CRX with only a modified exhaust, but it was sporty.
- Before it met its demise, my cousin, Chris, had a Mitsubishi Eclipse.
- Gran Turismo on the Playstation was amazingly awesome, because you can buy cars and test them out on tracks. My cousins, brothers, and I would save up to buy used cars on the game, modify them, and race each other. Those were good times.

So before I got my own car and was still driving a Toyota Camry, I had five "dream" cars:

#5: 1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse
Where did Mitsubishi go wrong after this?
This car had an awesome face and a great soapbox body. Actually, I think this model looks way better than the current Eclipse.

What was awesome about this car was it perfectly balanced looks and speed. It boasted 200 horsepower in a light body plus affordable (in japanese car terms). Also, this is what it looked like with body kits:


The reason why it #5 and not higher is because my cousin already owned one. I wanted to be original ;)

#4: 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT
It wasn't the prettiest, but it was fast

The 3000GT or GTO was ridiculously powerful and fast! It was also expensive, but for good reason. This car had a V6 engine with twin turbos, something very rare in cars at this price range.

I remember talking to my friends about this car and they laughed at turbos because there's no "replacement for displacement". But this car fast in Gran Turismo, which was a great grounds for my debate on what is better, a Mustang or Camaro, haha.

It's ahead of the Eclipse because it was the top of the line Mitsubishi car at the time ;) I'll admit to this, it's not a pretty car, but I really liked the back. And I figure that's all my opponents were going to see when we "raced"!

#3: 1995 Mazda RX-7

Yeah! This car was exotic in its own sense, because it had a rotary engine, as opposed to a traditional piston and cylinder engine. Not only that, but it boasted twin turbos and awesome styling.

This car is probably the best looking car in my opinion and with a body kit, it could look even better! I didn't get to see many of these in Texas and now they don't make this model anymore.


#2: 1999 Nissan Silvia (S15)


In America, the Silvia was dubbed 240SX and had a different motor from the one in Japan. It also looked different (not as cool looking). The motor they used in Japan was a 2 Litre turbocharged engine and produced 240 horsepower!

Because it couldn't really be produced in America, I could only put it in 2nd Place. The Nissan Silvia also was a great looking car and again, good with a body kit.


#1: 1995 Toyota MR2

So this car is number one in my list. The Toyota MR2 was an amazing car because it was a mid-engine, turbocharged, rear-wheel driven car. The car itself was decent in looks, but because of its light weight and powerful engine, it also was very fast.


Actually, I looked into buying a used white 1993 non-turbocharged MR2, but the car didn't feel good while I was test driving it. Even now, I like the car, but too bad they screwed it up in the next model (performance-wise) and discontinued it later on.

What were your childhood dream cars?

-Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your two cents: